Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Happy Birthday Dad!

It seems unreal to me that it has only been a year and a half since you left this earthly world.  It seems like so much longer.  Today you would have been 63 years young.  I can just imagine picking up the phone to call you and tell you happy birthday and it would last just a few minutes talking about what you would be doing for the day, you would probably cuss at the dogs a little bit and then we would launch into what I was up to for the day and you would probably tell me to work hard for my boss and be an accountable employee.  Then after that you would rant on about something that seems so trivial like the computer not working right or the lawn mower needing fixed and that would last 10 minutes at LEAST.  I would probably roll my eyes and say "okay Dad, I really need to get going, you know, work hard for my boss and all".  You would end by telling me to hug my honey and hug those babies (you ALWAYS did this, every conversation) and that would be it.  Seems like such a simple conversation but it is one that I miss deeply.  I would give anything to hear you rant on and on and on and on about Grand Island government, I would really love to get your take on what you thought about the Mayor getting his slap on the wrist for his recent DUI stop, what the idiots at Fox News are talking about, how Mom needs to quit working so hard and whatever else was Larry rant worthy. 

I continue to hold up on my end and enlighten my kids with reminding them of you every day and every moment that I can.  Henry wrote you a note today that will be coming to heaven in a balloon this afternoon that said "you make my heart feel good" and Julia says that she "wants you down from heaven".  We will celebrate today by our balloon letting and a birthday song to you, eating Fried Egg Sandwiches and Lays Potato Chips, rounding it out with some Orange Crush Soda (I tried to convince the kids to get some Sasparilla instead) and some popcorn. 

There are so many special things and qualities that you had about you that no one will ever quite understand or know.  Even Michelle sent me a text today saying that outside of her Dad and PJ that you were the best man that she knew.  She doesn't put her feelings out on her sleeve too much and I know she means it when she says it.  There are many people that I am sure long to call you and hear your voice and hear a Larry story.  I am so thankful to have had you as my Dad for 28 years.  Privileged.  Really really privileged.  I hope to be a glimmer of what you were as a parent to me to my kids.  

I hope your day in heaven is filled with the amazing things that I think of when I look towards the skies.  I remind the kids that even though we miss you and I am sure that you miss us there is no greater reward or happiness than being in heaven with Jesus and the glorious wonders that await us.  Happy Birthday Dad.  Your light still shines brightly in my world.   

4 tidbits of your thoughts:

Mom said...

Oh Kaitlyn-what a blessing you are!! Thanks for the beautiful letter to Dad and for the tears that followed.
He loved you so much and will always be so proud of you.

Mom

The Wiseman's said...

Well written Kaitlyn...he was such a special man to everyone that knew him!! I think about him often especially when I'm spraying my squirrely piss on my windsheild!!! Love and miss you Larry!!!

Michelle (Mosheeeeee)

Anonymous said...

Pretty! This has been a really wonderful post.

Thanks for supplying these details.

Feel free to visit my web site - weight loss calculator

Sarah M said...

Hmm, Kaitlyn, that's a good question--whether you should watch it now or after. If you watch it now, you might overly work yourself up (there are only a few tragic episodes, most are wonderfully joyful and sweet, but there are some), but watching it after might have you WEEPING like crazy with all those post-partum hormones. I'd probably suggest watching it after...you'll weep whether or not you're rife with hormones, but at least the delivery will be behind you...and all those nursing/feeding times...you need SOMETHING to watch, right?
Sarah M